SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,300 experts across 15 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists—from artists and engineers, to nurses, workplace strategists and beyond—develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces.
The Madison or Milwaukee office of SmithGroup is looking for a Senior Structural Engineer to join our team.
Working with us, you will:
- Provide leadership and help to build a structural engineering team.
- Perform structural analysis, design and documentation of buildings, site structures, architectural features, earth retention systems, sheet pile, and complex projects involving interdisciplinary project teams. Waterfront and marine structure experience is a plus.
- Develop structural designs for structures of various materials that experience multiple loading conditions that could include extreme loading (high wind, heavy snow, ice, high seismic, blast, progressive collapse, etc.)
- Create and develop innovative planning and design concepts for projects through collaboration with architectural and site design leaders.
- Independently assess design requirements, determine level of effort and provide input on scheduling and fees. Manage and monitor structural and budget performance of projects.
- Revise, review, and coordinate construction documents (drawings and specifications) to meet project requirements.
- Lead quality assurance reviews of projects developed by other teams.
- Direct and manage team’s construction administration including site visits as required for observation, answering contractor questions, or representing the owner in reviewing completed work.
- Prepare presentation drawings, assist in developing proposal materials and participate in presentations both internally and externally.
- Supervise, mentor and train Structural Engineers, CAD/Structural techs, interns and junior staff.